It’s long been said that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but in the harsh reality of business, judgements and opinions are quickly formed and can take a very long time to change. We judge or perceive someone’s competence when we see them on their feet presenting – not on everything else they do, so presentation skills training in business is incredibly important. A great financial director can help a business run smoothly and efficiently, but if they deliver a lifeless, boring speech at the company conference, those watching will remember that element of the presentation rather than the actual financial state of the business.
Most people have been on a standard presentation skills course at some time in their life, but that often doesn’t help when you have a particular event coming up or when you need to work on something very specific to you. Our 121 remote coaching programmes can help you focus on your precise needs or help you prepare for an important speaking occasion in your life.
Our coaches come from business / corporate backgrounds and can help you apply public speaking learning and skills to real life.
Speaking through the Storm - the more challenging scenarios
Speaking through the Storm – A masterclass
Do you ever have to deal with…
- Challenging Q&A sessions or audiences?
- Delivering bad news or tough messages?
- Hostile or disengaged audiences?
- Angry or unhappy customers?
Our new ‘Speaking through the Storm’ masterclass aims to equip senior people (especially women) to deal with the more challenging aspects of speaking, in meetings, speeches, presentations or panels.
- Our coaching is developed from a deep business and political background, our coaches are senior, experienced, practical, people.
- We know how to present, speak and influence in a high level, corporate and political context and we can enable you to get your message heard, however challenging the environment.
How does it work?
- ½ day masterclass
(also available as an evening event)
- Practical tools and techniques
- Maximum of 8 participants
(to enable application of exercises for everyone)
- Available as an in-house, specific event and there are also a limited number of places on public programmes.
Join Seema Kennedy, former MP, Minister and Aide to the Prime Minister and Patricia Seabright, consultant and coach in public speaking, presentation and influence, for this short, sharp masterclass that will equip you to deal with all these challenges.
121 Public speaking skill building
Delivering speeches or presentations at key industry, political, corporate or client or even personal events can be both exhilarating and stressful. Although public speaking ability is just a small part of your skill set it is disproportionately important. It’s harsh but true that many people (stakeholders, customers and staff) will judge your whole competence by what they see of you when you’re presenting in a public forum, not on everything else you do the rest of the year!
Our public speaking coaching is designed to support people to hone their skills and build the capacity to meet any public speaking/ presentation challenge with confidence.
What we do;
- Our expert coaches will develop a specific 1 2 1 coaching programme.
We do this by having you do a skills self-audit and a benchmark speech/ presentation, then discussing with you your preferred areas of focus. The topics below are some of the areas a client might want to focus on depending on their specific needs.
- For each chosen topic area, we will teach a short segment on key content, background, knowledge tips, techniques etc, we will then ask you to apply it and then review your output and give you detailed feedback.
- To finish the programme, we typically would have you do a final speech/ presentation for review and to demonstrate how far you’ve progressed.
How we do it;
- We start and finish programmes with live 121 webinar sessions (via Skype, Zoom or Facetime for example)
- We also use a state-of-the-art software that enables coaches to set you relevant “scenario challenges” related to the application of the specific topic. You then record and easily upload your practice sessions at a convenient time for you and that then enables the coaches to give you detailed feedback also via the system.
- You can choose to do any of this in person but most clients find the remote approach is far more time and cost efficient and achieves the same results
Topics covered can include any of the following:
121 Event specific coaching
For when it really matters…
Many people have, every now and then, a public speaking event that really matters, either in their business, political, or even social life. It could be a key note speech, a speech at a conference or kick-off event, a selection interview presentation or a wedding speech. But it’s an event that really matters and you need to get it right and be the best that you can be.
You probably already know the basics, been on a presentation skills course, but what you really need is some focused and individual support with this specific speech.
We can help!
We can provide you with some time and cost-efficient coaching that will enable you to get professional input where you need it, practice and feedback that will make all the difference to your speech.
We deliver this remotely with world class coaches and via state-of-the-art technology, that means you can do it on timings that work for you.
To find out more about the process and how the package works, click here.
Typically, this programme takes between 4- 5 hours (depending how long your speech is and how much prep time you want to give it) and can be done over 3-6 weeks, depending on how quickly you need to work. This package costs £395 + VAT
Call us now to book your coach to help you to deliver the best public speaking performances when you most need it!
Remote presentation skills
Many people say that webinars and conference calls are no substitute for meetings and live presentations. In some respects, we agree, the power of a face to face interaction is unquestionable, however much of the reason people feel remote meetings and presentations are much less valuable is partly because they are often executed so badly.
Be honest; How many times have you sat through a deathly dull webinar with 56 overloaded slides and a monotone presenter droning on in a voice that should be bottled and marketed as a cure for insomnia? Then of course it’s only fair if you react by turning off your video/ muting your line and getting on with your emails with the droning going on in the background.
At Archimedes we’ve developed a programme to help people with remote meeting and presentations skills. Remote meetings and presentation skills are similar to those for face to face events but actually require much more skill, For example, your voice. In a normal meeting or presentation, you have to ensure your voice is audible and engaging but you also have your body language to help you get your message across. Most people will be familiar with the research that suggests body language is responsible about 50% of the message we receive and the words themselves are only responsible for about 7-10% of message received.
What that means for remote presentation is, you have to work twice as hard with your voice to ensure you are clear and engaging in order for your message to be heard and understood. What is needed to execute that, is to be able to skilfully deploy your vocal pace, pitch and modulation. Typically, this is very different from day to day speaking and can therefore feel unfamiliar and uncomfortable for people. As a consequence without proper training people don’t do it and unfortunately, they end up sounding very dull and losing their audience.
As well as vocal skills, other aspects of remote meetings/ presentations we look at are; ~
- What good content and structure looks like and how it differs from F2F events
- How to handle the technology and avoid or mitigate against, the inevitable technical glitches
- How to leverage the functionality of popular platforms (e.g. Zoom, Skype, Go to meeting etc)
- How to keep your audience engaged (and stop them doing their emails!!)
- Physical delivery skills for video calls/ webinars
- How to hand Q&A’s effectively (and what to do if no one asks questions!)
- Avoiding the top 10 pitfalls
We deliver these programmes remotely (of course!) and as well as Zoom we use a unique coaching software to enable each participant to remotely practice their webinar delivery and get detailed, asynchronous feedback.
We work with our clients individually, looking at the personal, business and technical aspects of their presentations. If you would like to discuss any other presentation / public speaking requirements not outlined here (eg group coaching, speech writing etc), please do contact us and take a look at how we work.