You may have noticed that we like light bulbs here at Archimedes Consulting – but what happens when you have to present the technical detail of that light bulb to non-technical specialists?
We’ve delivered presentation skills coaching and training to many technical staff who were, by nature of their skills and professions, not natural presenters. Being able to present what fascinates and inspires you technically to an audience who are expecting to be bored and/or baffled is a big ask – so here are our questions to consider when preparing your presentation. You might also like to look at our sections on nerves and persuasive presentations.
- Do you understand how much technical information is really needed in the presentation?
- How much could go in notes or follow-up information?
- Are you making the best use of graphics with clear and simple pictures or diagrams to explain technical detail?
- Are you making the best use of analogies to help make complex concepts clearer and easier to digest?
- Are you using the right media?
- Is PowerPoint appropriate to convey technical data?
- Are you adding value to the data? Are you offering some insight or analysis that is more than they’d get by reading it?
Our presentation skills coaching for technical specialists programme is specifically designed to help in these circumstances.